POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conserving memory... : Re: Speaking of conserving memory... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conserving memory...
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jul 2008 12:26:34
Message: <4880c43a$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> Wouldn't that suggest that bunging some more memory in would only
> increase the time it took to fill up?

Not necessarily. Sure, if you have a leak, you need to fix it. But it's
entirely possible to have problems from not having enough memory that
are solved by adding memory. The linux OOM killer won't kick in, you
won't thrash, you won't have race conditions caused by thrashing, you
won't have exceptions causing you to fail to release resources because
you are thrashing, etc.

"Had to restart the system to free up resources" could mean "we're
thrashing because we have 5000 connections open to the server at once,
because they're not closing, because we're thrashing." For example.

But sure, if there's a leak, you'll eventually fill up memory. If 2 gig
changes it from being "restart the server once every day" to "restart
the server more rarely than we upgrade the software anyway", it's a win.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: