POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Nicolas George
Date: 18 Jul 2008 12:12:33
Message: <4880c0f1@news.povray.org>
Warp  wrote in message <4880afcc@news.povray.org>:
>   I'm not convinced it's the pov-teams duty to start nitpicking on
> terminology and specifying whether some software conforms to whatever
> the FSF wants it to mean.
>
>   I think "perforce is cost-free" is more than enough, without the need to
> go into terminology nor politics.

This is not cost and/or licence, this is also a question of convenience:

she-seel ~ $ sudo apt-get install perforce
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package perforce

While every single computer I have access to already has a subversion
client. This is strictly a practical concern. The more obstacles you put to
the access to the source code (and having to install yet another * revision
control client is an obstacle), the less contributors you will have.

Which brings us back to the question:

Do you actually want contributors?