POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who runs an old PC? : Re: Who runs an old PC? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who runs an old PC?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jul 2008 10:22:04
Message: <4880a70c$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:20:20 -0700, pan wrote:

> Sheesh!
> I keep about 18 computers running in my home lab. I guess it depends on
> what you do with machines. I do a lot of network design/testing/breaking
> and I like swapping hardware around looking for optimums in the
> strangest places.

:-)  I use VMware for that when I need to have more physical machines
than real machines.  Or if I need more real machines, I can probably use
some in one of the labs at work (we've got one lab with >1500 computers
in it, but that lab has recently had to be moved so I don't know (a)
where it is, or (b) if it's completely set up again yet).

The control systems in that lab are pretty cool.  They've got a control
console they can use to change network topology, power settings ranging
from a single machine to the entire room (including rows and racks at a
time), and the last time I actually used machines in the lab (which is
some 12 years ago now or so), a custom imaging solution for configuring
the systems.

> Yeah - only one car too.
> Traded in a Jeep (15 mpg) for a Mazda (31 pg). Need anything more be
> said about that?

:-)

Jim