POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Jul 2008 06:44:14
Message: <488073fe@news.povray.org>
>> ...and THIS is why I'm reluctant to buy a new phone. Who would want to
>> pay money for something that runs an M$ OS? :-S
>
> A lot of the problems we had stemmed from the third-party interface
> plonked on the top, once I removed that it was quite stable. They would
> occasionally refuse to link to the computer unless you restarted the
> phone, but I've had the same problem with the NokiaOS.
>
> I'm still impressed that if you made a change in Outlook while the phone
> was connected it would automatically sync that item and was quite happy
> syncing between multiple unconnected computers; something that both the
> Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones still don't do or have problems with.

Well let me put it this way. My current mobile phone is a little bit
worn out now. And it wasn't a very good phone to start with. But on the
other hand, it doesn't seem to be *possible* to buy a mobile phone
that's just a phone any more. It has to also try to be a camera and a
music system and a database and... I just want a phone?

Also, for some reason flip phones seem to be extremely rare right now.
Personally I dislike being charged money because my phone has
accidentally called somebody while it's in my pocket. Some phones allow
you to "lock" the keypad, but it can still call 999, causing a pretty
serious hazard as it might block out a *real* emergency call.

(My current phone was clearly designed by idiots. Or at least, by people
who have never attempted to *use* their product! For example, if you
write an SMS and select "Options", option #1 is... adjust the screen
setting? WTF? Surely you're going to do this, like, ONCE, when you first
get the phone, and never change it again. By contrast, the option you'll
want 99% of the time is "send" - which is option #4. If you *receive* an
SMS, "reply" is option #8 - which doesn't even fit onto the screen
without scrolling. At least my old Nokia had a sane menu system...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/