POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Jul 2008 03:55:56
Message: <48804c8c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Also, how about random number generation? Is this "easy" to do on a GPU?
>
>   Even if pixel shaders didn't have some RNG available (I don't know if
> they have), a simple linear congruential generator should be rather
> trivial to implement.
>
>   (OTOH that means that the LCG would have to store the seed somewhere
> so that the next time the shader is called it can use it. Again, I don't
> know if that's possible. There could well be parallelism problems with
> that.)

Yeah, that's going to be the fun part - getting each PRNG to produe a
different stream. Maybe it could be seeded from pixel coordinates or
something...

>> Could you do something like rendering millions of tiny semi-transparent
>> polygons of roughly 1-pixel size?
>
>   Why would you want to do that?

The idea being to scatter polygons around using a geometry shader,
rather than trying to implement the IFS as a pixel shader. I don't know
if it would work well though.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/