POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Jul 2008 03:25:56
Message: <48804584$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> It probably depends on what graphics card you have as to weather or not
> you can do this on it, but you might take a look at CUDA, a C compiler
> revently released by nvidia that allows you to write things for the GPU:

Yeah, CUDA seems the obvious way to do this.

Unfortunately, only GeForce 8 and newer support this technology. I have
a GeForce 7900GT. :-(

(Also... I get the impression you need Vista for the GeForce 8 to work.)

> You'll, of course, need to design your IFS algorithm so that it can be
> run in a highly parallel manner, but unless I'm missing something that
> should be pretty straightforward in this case (just run multiple
> iterators simultaneously).  Of course, not having ever done this sort of
> thing increases the chances that I'll have missed something :-)

There are 3 processes that need to happen.

1. A stream of coordinates needs to be generated.
2. A histogram of the coordinates needs to be constructed.
3. A non-linear mapping from histogram frequencies to colours is performed.

Step 2 looks to be the tricky one - but it shouldn't be *vastly*
difficult I think. The question is whether the histograms will fit into
the limited RAM on the card...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/