POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apply yourself : Re: Apply yourself Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apply yourself
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 18 Jul 2008 03:11:26
Message: <4880421e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Gail Shaw <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
>> If you want really messed up, try South Africa.
>
>> It is illegal, forbidden by our constitution, to discriminate against anyone
>> on the basis of skin colour, gender, religion, sexual preference or
>> nationality.
>> It is a requirement of the labour law that all companies employing more than
>> 50 people, have an affirmative action employment policy, whereby jobs are
>> given by preference to 'previously disadvantaged individuals'
>
>   It sounds a bit like the constitution of Finland: A lot of nice words
> which mean absolutely nothing in practice.
>
>   (Unlike in the US (if I'm not mistaken), the constitution in Finland is
> not an actual law. You can't "break" the constitution. Criminal law has
> no concept of "breaking the constitution", and no sentences are ever given
> for doing something unconstitutional. Unlike in the US, constitution is not
> really something you can plead to (eg. you don't "plead the fifth" or
> anything like that here).
>   In theory the constitution limits what can be passed as law, but in
> practice many laws go against the constitution. OTOH, the constitution
> doesn't prohibit that, as its wording is basically "this is allowed unless
> prohibited by a law". Of course this is an absolute null statement.)

No one 'breaks' the constitution of the USA.

All it sets out, initially, is what each part of the government is
allowed to do and how they can accomplish it. Congress is consisted of
these people and does this stuff in this manner, while the President is
this person who is elected somehow and can do this other stuff.

The first 10 amendments to the constitution actually went further, and
forbid certain kinds of laws from being created. Again, though, the
Congress and President do not 'break' the constitution by making laws
like that, because they simply lack the authority to. The law gets
enforced, someone appeals, the Supreme Court rules the law
unconstitutional, and the law goes away.*

The fun parts are the 10th amendment, that said any power not given to
the Federal government and not forbidden to the states are reserved to
the State, and the 14th amendment, which made everyone born in the USA a
citizen and guaranteed them the same rights.  Why? Well, the 10th is
skirted by calling just about anything 'interstate commerce'. Grow grain
to feed your own farm animals? Congress can regulate that, because the
grain you might be buying could come from other states. The other way is
to remove federal funding from states that do not enact certain laws:
"Do this or your tax dollars go some place else." And while the 14th
says that "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge
the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."** it has
been used to push other laws on the States. Whether that's a good or bad
thing depends on if you see the country as the USA or at the United
States of America. It is far from clear, either way.

*that's the way it's supposed to work, anyways.
**"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the
privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any
State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due
process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws."