POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apply yourself : Re: Apply yourself Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apply yourself
From: scott
Date: 18 Jul 2008 02:54:24
Message: <48803e20$1@news.povray.org>
> However, one does not simply email a CV to them. This is HMG, after all!
> You must fill in a long, complex online application form. And some of the
> fields really aren't very clearly labelled.

And then watch out, they often interview someone who knows you, just to
check certain things...

> Any remotely complex problems I might have solved have been solved by me
> and me alone.

Scale back a bit on your definition of "complex" then.  How about "the most
complex problem that you have solved with the aid of others"?  You must have
done something where you needed to ask someone else for advice/help - or
where you provided assistance to some other people working on a larger
problem?

> Or should I write something about the time when I tried to build a parser
> for my computer-aided algebra system, and ended up inventing Dijkstra's
> shunting algorithm?

Yes, I suspect they would like that.  They are after evidence, evidence that
you would be a useful person working for them.  Things like that show that
even though your current job doesn't require it, you are interested enough
in such concepts to spend time on them.

> 4. Please describe a time when you took on a task that illustrates your
> active interest in this area of work and allowed you to develop new
> skills.
>
> Uuuhhhh... Well I can tell you all mannar of things I've learned out of
> pure curiosity. But things I learned because of attempting to perform a
> specific "task"?

Same sort of thing as the previous answer would do.  But I guess it should
try to be related to whatever job you are applying for.  I'm sure you can
wangle something.