POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Jul 2008 21:34:07
Message: <487ff30f@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> OK, so for anybody who knows about such things... Would it be feasible
> to render an Iterated Function System image using a GPU? And would it be
> any faster than using the CPU?

As long as you can break down your function so that a single step is
performed on the entire screen at once, then you can.

Ie, you can do function f() on all pixels, store the output in a buffer,
and use that buffer as the input in the next step.

If you have to perform varying steps on individual pixels, you get
problems.  As in, if you go f() then g() then h() on one pixel, then
only g() and h() on its neighbor, then only f() and h() on a third, this
won't work.

The same instructions have to be run on the whole screen (well, the
whole polygon - for what you're asking about, I would just draw a quad
to the whole screen).

...Chambers