POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Artifacts on lathe object : Re: Artifacts on lathe object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artifacts on lathe object
From: Chris B
Date: 17 Jul 2008 19:47:18
Message: <487fda06@news.povray.org>
"Angela" <ang### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> That gives me an idea though! Maybe I'll try translating it away from the
> origin, just to see if it is the horizon :-) For the location of the
> artifacts,
> that makes sense.

I've had similar problems in the past when the change of direction between
two points is too big. Although it may be possible to find a position where
the artifacts are not very apparent, that's a bit fiddly.

I think you'll find it's a more robust solution to simply add a midpoint,
reducing the change of direction between each set of points. For example:

camera{location -z*10 look_at 0}
light_source{<1,1,-30> rgb 1}
lathe{
  bezier_spline
  8,
  <0,-2>,<1.5,-1.985>,<1.49,-0.5>,<1.24,0.5>
  <1.24,0.5>,<0.99,1.5>,<0.5,2.5>,<0,3>
  pigment{rgb <1,1,1>}
}

Warning: I've flipped the axes in this example to the default ones which I'm
more accustomed to and which avoid having to rotate the lathe object.

Regards,
Chris B.