POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apply yourself : Re: Apply yourself Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apply yourself
From: Warp
Date: 17 Jul 2008 19:03:02
Message: <487fcfa6@news.povray.org>
> >   In theory the constitution limits what can be passed as law,

> There are arguments in the US also that the Constitution shouldn't limit
> what can be passed as a law

  The Finnish government has a board of representatives (or something like
that) which job is to ensure that the constitution is upheld when voting
for new laws. Whenever a law touches something which may be seen as
constitutionally dubious, this board is consulted and they give their
official statement about the constitutionality of the law. I don't know
how many laws they have actually stopped from being passed, but I suppose
they might have done so.

  OTOH, many laws have been passed which feel constitutionally extremely
dubious (eg. regarding freedom of speech) which this board has nevertheless
given a thumbs up. Sometimes I seriously doubt the impartiality of the
board.

  But OTOH, as I already said in my previous post, the Finnish constitution
is full of null statements anyways, so while a law might not conform to
the spirit of the constitution it may still conform to its letter.

--
                                                          - Warp