POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apply yourself : Re: Apply yourself Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apply yourself
From: Warp
Date: 17 Jul 2008 17:24:19
Message: <487fb883@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
> If you want really messed up, try South Africa.

> It is illegal, forbidden by our constitution, to discriminate against anyone
> on the basis of skin colour, gender, religion, sexual preference or
> nationality.
> It is a requirement of the labour law that all companies employing more than
> 50 people, have an affirmative action employment policy, whereby jobs are
> given by preference to 'previously disadvantaged individuals'

  It sounds a bit like the constitution of Finland: A lot of nice words
which mean absolutely nothing in practice.

  (Unlike in the US (if I'm not mistaken), the constitution in Finland is
not an actual law. You can't "break" the constitution. Criminal law has
no concept of "breaking the constitution", and no sentences are ever given
for doing something unconstitutional. Unlike in the US, constitution is not
really something you can plead to (eg. you don't "plead the fifth" or
anything like that here).
  In theory the constitution limits what can be passed as law, but in
practice many laws go against the constitution. OTOH, the constitution
doesn't prohibit that, as its wording is basically "this is allowed unless
prohibited by a law". Of course this is an absolute null statement.)

--
                                                          - Warp