POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apply yourself : Re: Apply yourself Server Time
10 Oct 2024 04:36:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apply yourself
From: Warp
Date: 17 Jul 2008 13:40:18
Message: <487f8402@news.povray.org>
> Myself, being a honest and truthful person, I always strive to ensure I
> don't in any way exaggerate my actual capabilities or mislead people in
> any way. I guess it never occurred to me that other applicants are not
> nearly so ethical.

  It's a sad world. Employers can't appreciate honesty because they have
no means of knowing who is lying and who is being honest, especially when
there may be hundreds of applications. Usually only two types of people
get hired: The ones who are most competent, and the ones who can lie most
convincingly about their own competence. The situation is aggravated if
the person making the interview doesn't know the subject matter very well
himself (which is often the case with bosses, as you might know).

  Thus people who are fairly competent but not brilliant, and who are
honest by principle, get discriminated precisely because of their honesty.
Getting a job is a competition, and it can get pretty ugly, and honest
naive people are usually going to lose.

  The usual recommendation for job interviews is to try to smartly hide
your weaknesses and concentrate on your strong points, while trying to
avoid outright lying. (After all, if you get caught lying, that may
backfire badly.) It can be an art.

--
                                                          - Warp