POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:33:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Nicolas George
Date: 17 Jul 2008 12:59:44
Message: <487f7a80$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <487f760c$1@news.povray.org>:
> I do not recall the POV-Ray 3.6 source code having vanished from Earth any
> time in the past since its initial release.

The 3.7 source code, on the other hand, was not there. You know it
perfectly, as you know that this is what I am talking about.

>> Do you not agree that, in order to attract contributors, you need to make
>> them feel welcome?
> Yes, I agree that every team member needs to greet all contributors with
> flowers personally.

That is not what I am talking about.

If you happen to be wondering why there are so little contributions to
POV-Ray, just look in a mirror: that is precisely your attitude that makes
them go away.

Please note that I am not accusing you: you have a total right not to want
contributors. But in that case, be coherent: do not pretend you want them,
and do not pretend your project is open.

If, on the other hand, you actually want contributors, then you should as
soon as possible set up a public developers mailing-list and current source
code repository. And then be patient, as you have quite a lot of bad
reputation that needs to be forgotten.