POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jul 2008 12:47:53
Message: <487e2639$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:17:21 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> NO, it isn't.  People haven't died because of MS security
>> vulnerabilities.
>
> That is in part because MS explicitly says it's not supposed to be good
> enough for life-critical situations.

Yeah, that's true enough.  Most commercial software vendors have that
clause in the license agreement.

> And I wouldn't be surprised, anyway, if some MS software had a bug that
> caused some patient to get over-dosed with radiation during cancer
> treatment or some such.

I would be, since the machines that control that sort of thing tend to be
custom-built and not PC-controlled, at least not that I've seen
(admittedly, I've not spent a lot of time in cancer treatment facilities).

Jim