POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jul 2008 12:27:58
Message: <487e218e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   On the other hand, we are talking about 1976 here. With regular desktop
> computers we were talking about KMIPS and KFLOPS and a few kB of RAM at
> most.

On the gripping hand, one "mainframe" I programmed on (that was running
the entire K-12 school district, scheduling and grades and report cards
and payroll and such) could have been outrun by an Apple ][, if you
could get a 600 line-per-minute line printer hooked up to it. The same
kind of computer was running the local bank at the time. (Yeah, around
1976-1981 or so.)  32Kbytes of real live core memory, punched card
input, all that good stuff.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: