POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who runs an old PC? : Re: Who runs an old PC? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who runs an old PC?
From: Tom Austin
Date: 16 Jul 2008 11:34:45
Message: <487e1515$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> Who runs an old PC at home as their main PC.

I run a dual processor P3 750MHz with 1GB ram.

I built the PC from scratch in 2000 using a Supermicro dual processor
capable motherboard.  It started with (1) P3 750 processor and 256MB ram
and a 13GB HD.

It started life running Windows NT 4.0.

Over the years I added a second CPU, upped the RAM to 1GB and added
several hard drives to it.
A IDE PCI card was added to provide for more HD capacity.
A USB/Firewire card was added to provide for those capabilities.

At some point I upgraded the OS to Windows XP.

My plan was to upgrade - upgrade - upgrade to keep it usable.
And that has worked - but I don't think it can be upgraded much more.

The thing runs good with no real noticeable slowdowns except that CNN
video stutters.

I have given up on processing home videos with it because it is just too
slow - tho having dual processor made it usable while processing video.

We still use this machine as our main computer - checking email, surfing
the web, playing some simple games now and then.

There have only been a couple of problems with the thing:
During POST, it will sometimes hang and need reset.
More and more often it will reset itself at random.

I have a more modern laptop, but it is used mainly when traveling and as
a second computer when the main one is being used.

Overall age is about 8 years - not bad considering the speed at which
technology flies.

Tom