POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jul 2008 08:39:12
Message: <487debf0$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> What you mean is, you don't understand why Vista needs more RAM than a
> modern games console has to work properly.  Did you ever think that a
> modern desktop OS does vastly more than a games console does?

Well let's examine that one.

I've only ever seen a PS3 in action once. I was using it to play a game
called "Call of Duty 4". Never heard of the game, but it looks amazing.
Only 10 years ago, a game like this would have been impossible. There
wasn't a computer on Earth powerful enough to run it. It's quite
impressive that it can even be done today, frankly.

On the other hand, Word just makes text appear on a screen, and lets you
edit it. (And change fonts and styles.) That was possible 20 years ago.
So why does it suddenly require so much hardware to achieve the same
thing as before? It's not like Word has any significant new features or
anything...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/