POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jul 2008 07:06:36
Message: <487dd63c$1@news.povray.org>
>> That's rather perverse though. Are you telling it you need "at least 2
>> GB RAM" to run M$ Office smoothly, but 1/8 of that is just fine for
>> running extremely intensive game software?
>
> Well almost, I know that just double the PS3 RAM would be enough to run
> Vista + Office smoothly.  But then Vista does 842434 more things than
> the PS3 OS does, so I think it's allowed to use up half a gig more if it
> wants to.

I just find it ironic that running Word requires massively more RAM than
running a bleeding-edge computer game, that's all.

> I suspect that the clever bit about CUDA is how it translates your
> arbitrary code into operations that the GPU is capable of carrying out.

Er, yuh. Definitely. ;-)

> And I also suspect, that to get decent performance you need to have a
> pretty good understanding of how the GPU actually works, and write your
> code accordingly.

Have you had a read of the CUDA manual? I don't know much about GPU
design, but reading this gave me a better idea of what this stuff works
internally...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/