POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images : Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images Server Time
5 May 2024 09:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jul 2008 22:34:12
Message: <487d5e24$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD nous illumina en ce 2008-07-13 22:05 -->
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> The original images probably used environment maping (for reflections) and light
>> maping (for light intensity and shadows). Many games never use actual lighting,
>> but rely on light maping. It works great for scan-line rendering, but not for
>> ray-tracing.
>> If you don't have access to those maps, then your only choice is emulation and
>> trial and error.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> You know you've been raytracing too long when your personal correspondence to
>> friends starts out with #Dear Linda =
>> Ken Tyler
>
> I am pretty sure actual lighting was used, as the images come complete with
> shadows.
>
> Anyway, I started a similar thread over at CGTalk in which I provided examples.
> You can find it here:
>
> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=651372
>
> -Mike

Don't be so sure. Light maps can have directional informations that will be used
to generate the shadows and the shading of the objects. This don't even take
into acount the preshading of the objects, or the fact that sprites can include
the shadows, as it's evident in the one showing the walking personage.
In some cases, they use light map to provide the ambient lighting and light for
the shadows, then add environment map to complement the shading and highlights
as well as simulating reflections.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you downloaded and printed the