POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Laser Light Source with Photons... : Re: Laser Light Source with Photons... Server Time
2 Jun 2024 07:55:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laser Light Source with Photons...
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jul 2008 22:05:03
Message: <487d574f$1@news.povray.org>
Frozenport.com nous illumina en ce 2008-07-14 02:03 -->
> Okay,
> Thank you for your help, I feel I am getting closer to solving my problem. I
> have succesfully gotten the beam to show up but I can not get it properly
> interact with optical components. I am hoping for an effect similar to this one
> http://www.imagico.de/pov/meta/block_neg.jpg. My current result is
> http://www.frozenport.com/WhatIGot.jpg

Your reference image uses a negative ior. No normal, positive, ior can ever give
that result.

> light_source {LightSource color Red*1000 cylinder tightness .2 radius .2 falloff
> ..25  point_at LightDestination
>  photons{reflection on refraction off}
>  //looks_like{cylinder{LightSource,LightDestination,.1 texture{Chrome_Metal}}}
> not quite sure what this does...
>         }

The looks_like statement attach an object to the light_source. It's origin is
coincident with the light's location. It's a good way to make a light_source
visible. In fact, it's the goal of the looks_like.
A sample:
light_source{10 color Red*1000 cylinder tightness 0.2 falloff 0.2 radius 0.2
point_at<10,10,9> // make it point parallel to the Z axis.
	looks_like{cylinder{0,<0,0,.5>,1 texture{Chrome_Metal}}}
translate -10 // shift bact to the origin
rotate 27*y // change the orientation
translate Final_location // place it where you want
}
You can replace the cylinder I used by about any object you want, not just a
primitive.
The looks_like object is automaticaly made no_shadow.

Try adding photons{pass_through} to your laser box object. Presently, it
intersept your photons.

//Astetic Laser Box
union{
	box { <4,1,-2>, 0 texture{Candy_Cane} translate <5,0,0>}
//Astetic LaserTip
	cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,5,0>,.2 texture{Chrome_Metal} translate <.75,-9.5,-1.25>
	rotate<0,0,90>
	photons{pass_through}
}

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's When you put