POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 07:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jul 2008 12:43:49
Message: <487cd3c5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The speed of Crays don't come from CPU speed, but from havint a *lot*
> of them (as well as fast memory buses, etc).
>
>   POV-Ray versions previous to 3.7 do not benefit from a Cray at all.
> You get better speed by buying an old PC for $50.
>
>   Now, POV-Ray 3.7 is a completely different story.

According to Wikipedia, the Cray-1 does an average of about 136 MFLOPS,
but can peak up to 250 MFLOPS if the code is structured right.

I think in general most "supercomputers" only achieve peak performance
for very specific kinds of workload. Just grabbing the POV-Ray source
code and throwing it at a C compiler is *highly* unlikely to just happen
to produce the right kind of workload.

(As you say, both Cray-1 and Cray-2 work because they're very parallel -
they're vector-processing machines. POV-Ray isn't structured that way.
It could be, but it isn't at present.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/