POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jul 2008 04:19:22
Message: <487c5d8a$1@news.povray.org>
> - Commodore 64 (6510 @ ~1 MHz)
> - ZX Spectrum (Z80 @ 3.5 MHz)
> - Pentium I @ 66 MHz
> - Pentium II @ 233 MHz
> - Pentium III @ 500 MHz
> - Pentium IV @ 4.0 GHz
> - Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.0 GHz

No idea about the processing power of those, but yesterday I saw a
Cray-1 supercomputer.

I say "supercomputer"... According to Wikipedia:

- 80 MHz clock.
- 160 MIPS theoretical peak.
- 136 MFLOPS typical.
- 250 MFLOPS peak (for heavily vectorised workloads).
- 8 MB RAM max.
- 5.5 tons.
- 115 kW for the basic system (NOT including cooling).

I'm having great difficulty finding numbers, but I'm told modern
computers are measured in multiple GFLOPS rather than MFLOPS. And
certainly they seem to hit tens of thousands of MIPS (although for
radically different instruction sets that's not a teffically meaningful
comparison).

It seems likely that my old laptop is more powerful that this 5.5-ton
Freon-cooled monster.

I'm now trying to find out if my laptop out-powers the Cray-2. I still
have a book somewhere claiming this to be "the world's most powerful
computer"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/