POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
8 Sep 2024 11:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jul 2008 14:29:18
Message: <487b9afe@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I don't think that's sufficient to make it a RISC processor. That would
>> mean both the PDP-11 and the X-560 were RISC processors.
>
>   Who says they weren't?

Maybe because both were obsolete before the term RISC was invented?
Because neither had lots of variables? Because they both had complex
addressing modes beyond LOAD and STORE? Because they both had
instructions that took variable numbers of cycles?

*I* say they weren't. They might meet your definition of RISC, but I'm
pretty sure your definition doesn't align with the definitions of most
others when talking about it.

>   I don't think RISC has been ever defined to mean "you can only perform
> very simple operations with a single opcode". RISC stands for *reduced*
> instruction set computer, not *simplified* instruction set computer.

No, but it also means the ALU only talks to the registers, and there
aren't any complex addressing modes. Neither of those are true of the
two CPUs I named here.

>   I don't really understand where the concept of a RISC opcode being
> *simple* has come from.

Well, because that made it fast. Read the link I pointed you to. The
point of reducing the instruction set and addressing modes was to make
it faster and to make more room for registers, by eliminating the
microcode.

>   What makes RISC processors simpler is that their fetching and decoding
> steps, pipelines and code caches are simpler because all the opcodes have
> exactly the same size and the meaning of the bits in each opcode has
> been fixed. CISC processors are more complicated because of variable-sized
> opcodes which can contain almost anything.

Again, I think you're oversimplifying. You're using a definition for
RISC at odds with the definition created by the people who created the
term. By leaving off significant portions of the original "meaning" of
the term, you're turning it into a binary situation. However, the
original meaning of RISC has several components (addressing modes,
increased number of registers, simplified decoding), and processors
nowadays combine these things to different degrees.

I think if you asked a modern CPU designer whether he'd consider a
hardware operation equivalent to sprintf() to be "RISC", you'd almost
invariably get the answer "no".

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: