POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
8 Sep 2024 13:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: John VanSickle
Date: 14 Jul 2008 14:24:43
Message: <487b99eb$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I just wrote the assembly on a piece of paper, and when the program was
> properly finished, it'd do the "assembling" part by hand. (I.e., open my
> dad's book and leaf through the op-code table.)

Hand assembly was actually a common practice until 16-bit processors
made this too troublesome; with at most 256 opcodes to remember
(although the 6809[1] had prefix opcodes that made the following opcode
take on a different meaning), many 8-bit assembly programmers were
perfectly capable of reading and writing the opcodes directly from/to a
memory listing.

> Eventually I tired of this, and wrote my old assembler.

The C64 had a cartridge port on the back end, and one fine company put
out a cartridge called HESMon, which provided a mini-assembler, memory
dump and editing, and so on.  I could have used the mini-assembler, but
opcodes were two keystrokes while mnemonics were three, so for the sake
of speed I usually typed the opcodes.  The monitor would disassemble
them for me so I caught any errors quickly.

Regards,
John

[1] The 6809 was the nicest, IMHO, of the 8-bit processors.  It had
hardware multiply and sixteen-bit index registers (with preincrement and
postdecrement).  Code for that processor was usually smaller than the
6502 equivalent.