POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments : Re: Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments Server Time
3 May 2024 10:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Jul 2008 13:14:20
Message: <487b896c@news.povray.org>
Le Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:54:26 -0400, SharkD a modifié des petits morceaux
de l'univers pour nous faire lire :

> "Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> My experience has been that the finish declared last is applied to all
>> of the object, even when in a texture_map statement. From the
>> documentation:
>> >Note: transformations are not allowed inside a finish because finish
>> >items cover the entire surface uniformly. Each of the FINISH_ITEMS
>> >listed above is described in sub-sections below.
>>
>> This precludes layered and patterned finishes.
>>
>> -Reactor
>
> Hmmm... it would make more sense for the finish to be applied on a
> per-texture basis, so that there would be some variance when a
> texture_map is used.
>
> -Mike

Why would you tie the finish/pattern to the pigment ?
The need is for a real patterned finish. The syntax might need to evolve
for such feature.

Finish are rather like Normal: the first layer wins.

UML readers can have a look at page 18 to 21
of http://jgrimbert.free.fr/crayon.pdf

page 18 is the data model of povray 3.6 (DATA, not SDL!)
(from page 20, texture is suppressed from the Data model: once again,
DATA, no implication on SDL, just like with Material...)