POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images : Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images Server Time
5 May 2024 13:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images
From: scott
Date: 14 Jul 2008 06:33:14
Message: <487b2b6a$1@news.povray.org>
> I am pretty sure actual lighting was used, as the images come complete
> with
> shadows.
>
> Anyway, I started a similar thread over at CGTalk in which I provided
> examples.
> You can find it here:
>
> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=651372

With that cuboid image you have, you could take the average pixel intensity
over each face (in the x y and z direction), then assuming the texture was
the same on each face you'd have an approximation of the light intensity on
each face.  You should be able to then determine the direction the light is
coming from, and a guess at the light intensity (you can't know for sure,
since you don't have the original texture used on the surface).