POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jul 2008 22:53:53
Message: <487abfc1$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:03:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, it seems to me that this is one of the most common applications
>> of applying a single "good vs. evil" ideology to the world.
>
> I'm also amused that he quoted the monotheism sentence as an attack on
> religion, rather than the Greek gods, the demons and spirits, or other
> religion-based bits. I was actually thinking at least as much the modern
> Chinese government banning Christianity as well as Fallun Gong (sp?) as
> an "other" kind of thing as I was the Spanish conquistadors.

I found it interesting as well - I guess it's easy to take offense at
what you're not familiar with, but not to at other things.

Kinda reminds me of Isaac Hayes - he was fine with all the allusions in
South Park to the problems with religions he didn't believe in, but once
they went after Scientology, his tolerance was limited.  It's always
easier to make fun of others than it is yourself, I guess.

Jim