POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jul 2008 19:59:12
Message: <487a96d0$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:25:41 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > supporting that ideology start believing it's the *only* correct
>> > solution to every problem, that's when things start going bad.
>
>> That's one of the problems with monotheism. When your god is the *only*
>> god, you *obviously* have to do something to fix all the unbelievers.
>
>   Somehow I knew you would convert this into a discussion about religion
> (something I really didn't want to do, as I was talking in a more
> general manner about human nature, independently of indivudal
> ideologies),

Well, it seems to me that this is one of the most common applications of
applying a single "good vs. evil" ideology to the world.  It's really
easy to follow a religion (I'd go that far rather than just limiting it
to monotheism, myself) if the boundaries between good and evil are really
clear cut with no room for "shades of grey".

Jim