POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How far we have come : Re: How far we have come Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How far we have come
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2008 17:30:49
Message: <487a7409$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Is there *any* programming language designed after the early 80's which
> actually cares about memory usage?

Ada? FORTH?

My take on it is that if you're concerned about memory usage, use one of
the languages that's good at memory usage. How many of them do you need?
What's missing that would make life a lot easier that you can
nevertheless fit into a small memory footprint?  If you don't have a lot
of memory, chances are your program isn't big enough to need a really
sophisticated and/or unusual language to code it in. Pick one like C,
C++, Ada, BASIC, or FORTRAN, and use it. If you need something
"stronger", use LISP or FORTH or Smalltalk.

Fitting Mathematica, Prolog, or Haskel into 64K just isn't worth it -
there isn't enough data to be processed that you need particularly
sophisticated processing methods.

Sure, languages like Java waste memory if you allocate each integer as a
separate object, so you make an array of integers to hold your bitmap,
and deal with the minor pain that architectural decision entails.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: