POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
8 Sep 2024 15:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2008 17:19:55
Message: <487a717b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   Just because the 16-bit operations are performed on pairs of 8-bit
>>> registers that doesn't make it any less of a 16-bit operation.
>
>> OK. I guess we're just disagreeing about whether that ability makes a
>> CPU an "8-bit CPU" or a "16-bit CPU".
>
>   IMO "16-bit CPU" means "can perform most calculations on 16-bit values
> with single opcodes".

I'm pretty sure the 8080 at least was not like that.

Hmmm... A quick google shows opcodes like "add hl,bc" and such, as well
as some subtracts, but many more opcodes for 8-bit than 16-bit ops. (And
some extra prefix codes for IX and IY, yes.) The accumulator, for
example, was 8 bits, and (IIRC) you couldn't load a 2-byte address into
a two-byte pointer register unless it was an absolute address.

The 8080 had no such opcodes at all, from what I can see (and what I
remember). I probably stopped programming in assembler before the Z80
was widespread enough you could just rely on it being there instead of
an 8080. :-)

>   Could you calculate eg. additions and substractions using 16-bit values
> with single opcodes?

Nope.

OK, so you're saying a 16-bit CPU has a 16-bit ALU? I'm not sure how
wide the Z80's ALU was. I wouldn't be surprised if "sub bc,hl" was
calculated with two runs thru the ALU.

Anyway, as I said, I think at this point we're just discussing what one
wants to call the CPU, without adding any additional information to it.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: