POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jul 2008 14:53:06
Message: <487a4f12$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> There were games on the Apple (6502-based) which had seven versions of
> any given sprite graphic so that they wouldn't have to be shifted in
> order to display them on the screen.  8-bit game programmers learned
> much about squeezing every last drop of performance out of limited speed
> and memory.

Wouldn't having 7 copies of the same data eat more memory?

Did it actually store 7 copies, or just precompute them?

Also... Apple made a 6502-based product??

> One of the best C64 games was called Pinball Construction Set, which had
> the pinball moving with apparently natural motion and reflecting off of
> barriers of any angle.  I should have looked at the code to see how they
> pulled it off.

The equations for simple 2D acceleration and reflection are fairly easy,
and probably implementable in fixed-point arithmetic. The *hard* part
about physical simulations is that they usually involve a huge number of
items; *one* marble isn't too big a deal.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/