POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jul 2008 14:49:33
Message: <487a4e3d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I have always wondered why humanity likes extremes so much.

I guess because seeing the world in black and white is easier than
reasoning about shades of grey? It's the only reason I can think of...

>   Another common problem seems to be that people always need someone
> to hate, someone to blame, someone to be accused of all the problems.

I read somewhere that a scientific study showed that amoung American
social groups, there was a need for a "deviant". I forget the exact
experiment, but they found that no matter which way they put a bunch of
kids into social groups, eventually one or maybe some small number of
the kids would be singled out as "the deviant", and thereafter harrassed
and bullied. Change the social groups and the person who's the deviant
changes, but there still *is* a deviant.

The study was done in America. I forget where I read all this, but the
study made subtle hints that similar results were not found in
non-Western societies.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/