POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: andrel
Date: 15 Jul 2008 15:51:38
Message: <487D0003.3050401@hotmail.com>

>> I think we all agree on that. Including Warp, so I do not understand why
>> people keep on suggesting that he does not know that.
>
> Because he keeps bringing cost into the discussion about what "free"
> means:

I think you misunderstood him.

> 'To them "free" means "you can sell it for a price". And they don't see
> any contradiction in that.'
>
> There is only a contradiction if you assume free *only* means "at no
> cost".

Let me try to explain his logic once more (and for the last time I
hope). FSF rules require that you have the freedom to sell software at a
price. There is no way that you can legally sell POV to a third party.
Hence POV-Ray is not free software *because you can not sell it*, at
least according to the FSF rules
(http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html) . The contradiction
he mentions arises not because he thinks free means only at no cost, but
because FSF insists that free *implies* that you must be able to sell
it. He acknowledges that free has more than one meaning and complains
that the FSF doesn't.