POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: andrel
Date: 13 Jul 2008 06:04:36
Message: <4879D36C.4020304@hotmail.com>
On 13-Jul-08 11:33, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> Neither the 6510 nor the Z80 had a floating point processor. Floating
>> point was in software.
>
> That's true. But assuming we want, say, a normal "double precision"
> floating point number, how many clock cycles would you estimate it takes
> to operation on? A dozen? A hundred?

My estimate would be that adding 2 floating points would be around 50
and multiplication more 100-150, but I could be an order of magnitude wrong.

>> Both had a variable instruction set that took a variable amount of
>> cycles to execute and therefor the number of instruction processed
>> depended on the program and especially on the addressing modes used.
>
> I thought this was true for *all* processors?

not for RISC and only partial for state of the art processors.

> (Of course, unlike modern processors, cache effects are not present.)
>
>> although the MIPS rate is not very well defined, on average it may be
>> in the order of 1/3rd of the clock speed for 65xx and 1/5th-1/4th for
>> Z80.
>
> Sounds roughly right. (For the 65xx anyway - I have a manual somewhere
> that lists all the opcodes and addressing modes...)
>
> So that gives us, very approximately,
>
> - C64 = 1.0 MHz / 3 = 0.333 MIPS.
> - ZX Spectrum = 3.5 MHz / 4 = 0.875 MIPS.

please don't use 3 significant digits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_instructions_per_second