POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Need for speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need for speed
From: andrel
Date: 13 Jul 2008 05:22:04
Message: <4879C975.1040409@hotmail.com>
On 13-Jul-08 10:52, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Can somebody find out the typical MIPS and FLOPS for the following:
>
> - Commodore 64 (6510 @ ~1 MHz)
> - ZX Spectrum (Z80 @ 3.5 MHz)
> - Pentium I @ 66 MHz
> - Pentium II @ 233 MHz
> - Pentium III @ 500 MHz
> - Pentium IV @ 4.0 GHz
> - Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.0 GHz
>
> Surprisingly, Google fails to yield any useful data. I can find out the
> *clock speed*, FSB speed, cache size, and numerous other details of
> these CPUs, plus various benchmark results, but not MIPS and FLOPS
> counts...

Neither the 6510 nor the Z80 had a floating point processor. Floating
point was in software. FLOPS is not really defined because it depends on
what operation is performed.

Both had a variable instruction set that took a variable amount of
cycles to execute and therefor the number of instruction processed
depended on the program and especially on the addressing modes used. I'd
say that although the MIPS rate is not very well defined, on average it
may be in the order of 1/3rd of the clock speed for 65xx and 1/5th-1/4th
for Z80. Some info at:
http://e-tradition.net/bytes/6502/6502_instruction_set.html
http://wikiti.denglend.net/index.php?title=Z80_Instruction_Set