POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 12 Jul 2008 19:58:57
Message: <48794541$1@news.povray.org>
> Now, you just said POV-4 will be GPLv3. Jerome said he thinks it won't.
> Any better place to ask or *read*? Is the code for POV-4 available
> somewhere to review and help with the effort?

Actually I think POV-4 will be LGPL which is "freer" than GPLv3,
correct me if I'm wrong.

As for "Open Source" I'm not sure what manner of source
code publishing is considered to pass muster by the lawyers.
Fairly current (February) beta source for 3.7 v25b is available at
http://www.povray.org/beta/source/
POV probably could benefit from a code repository though...
Setting up VS C++ 2005 Express (free "beer") to
use the Zoom library is non-trivial, so it might be good to
figure out a way to patch the compiler with libraries and
stuff from a repository. Eventually that should take some of
the pressure off of Chris Cason, who is doing the majority
of new code.