POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Alessio Sangalli
Date: 12 Jul 2008 18:48:15
Message: <487934af$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> So what exactly is your problem??? - I can tell you: You did not _read_, but
> just want to cause arguments about the definition of "free software".
>
> *plonk*

Thorsten, I hope you didn't really banned me. I have the utmost respect
for POV-developers (the person that enlightened me on POV-ray was Dan
Farmer in the mid nineties. Don't know if he's still among the
POV-developers). As a non native english speaker I might have sounded
too harsh or something. I was expecting an answer like Jerome's, I know
POV-ray was born before the GPL and the widespread internet usage for
software downloads, so the peculiar license that sets terms for the cost
of the media on which the program is shipped etc.

Now, you just said POV-4 will be GPLv3. Jerome said he thinks it won't.
Any better place to ask or *read*? Is the code for POV-4 available
somewhere to review and help with the effort?

bye
Alessio