POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images : Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images Server Time
5 May 2024 10:02:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images
From: Alain
Date: 11 Jul 2008 22:54:34
Message: <48781cea$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD nous illumina en ce 2008-07-10 23:12 -->
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> It may be much easier to recreate the scenes from scratch to match the
>> original(s) as much as possible.
>> Recreate the objects, props, walls, terrains and characters on ther own. Adjust
>> the scales so that they match. Assemble the various elements to remake the
>> desired image.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> You know you've been raytracing too long when you're starting to find these
>> quotes more unsettling than funny.
>>      -- Alex McLeod a.k.a. Giant Robot Messiah
>
> Thank you for taking interest in the subject! I would like to stress that I do
> not wish to recreate the objects themselves. There are several people (or a few
> people anyway) who have dedicated themselves to supplementing the existing
> objects with new ones. What is missing, however, is the original scene
> information so that new images don't look out of whack when compared next to
> existing ones. Lighting, camera and object geometry should be trivial to
> determine geometrically. Things like ambience and light intensity are what I
> wish to figure out (luckily radiosity is not an issue). Also, I have an
> uncommon bent towards exactitude. I would like to learn of computational means
> of determining this. I don't like experimenting and fiddling with trial and
> error unless what I'm creating is entirely new.
>
> -Mike

The original images probably used environment maping (for reflections) and light
maping (for light intensity and shadows). Many games never use actual lighting,
but rely on light maping. It works great for scan-line rendering, but not for
ray-tracing.
If you don't have access to those maps, then your only choice is emulation and
trial and error.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your personal correspondence to