POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oi, Darren : Re: Oi, Darren Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oi, Darren
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 11 Jul 2008 18:06:20
Message: <4877d95c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It kind of "makes sense" that there are "more" reals than integers.
> What is more unintuitive is that the amount of rational numbers is the
> same as the amount of integers.

	That, and the fact that R^n has as many points as R (for positive
integers n).

>   (Curiously, to a mathematician it's the other way around: The latter
> fact is quite intuitive, but the former is puzzling. Some even go as
> far as half-jokingly saying that "there just can't be more reals than
> integers, it doesn't make sense; there would be too many".)

	That's not been my experience with mathematicians - they find both to
be fairly interesting.

	Of course, a lot of this "weirdness" is merely due to the definition of
equality of the size of two sets. It was a convenient one to deal with
infinite sets.

--
"Auntie Em: Hate Kansas. Hate You. Took Dog. -Dorothy."

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl