POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oi, Darren : Re: Oi, Darren Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oi, Darren
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 11 Jul 2008 18:03:33
Message: <4877d8b5@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Map each real number to a positive integer.
>
> Um... like, how? There's more of them...

	What he meant to say was that no matter how you map integers to real
numbers, one can construct a real number that has no integer mapped to it.

Me: There's no way to make a 1-1 correspondence between reals and integers.

You: Yes there is.

Me: I defy you to provide me with such a mapping.***

You: OK. How about this one?

Me: (Using Darren's recipe) - here's a real number that isn't mapped to
an integer.

*** Not a mathematically sound argument. In mathematics, you can prove
the existence of certain sets, and you can also prove that you can never
   explicitly exhibit those sets (i.e. you can *only* show they exist -
it is mathematically impossible to demonstrate them, though). So an
argument that shows one cannot exhibit/construct a certain set does not
imply that they don't exist.

Some day I have to formally learn how that is.

--
"Auntie Em: Hate Kansas. Hate You. Took Dog. -Dorothy."

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl