POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hey Warp... : Re: Hey Warp... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey Warp...
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jul 2008 15:44:39
Message: <4877b825@news.povray.org>
> You know when somebody says something like "the TCP protocol", but the P
> already stands for "protocol", so they're really saying "the
> transmission control protocol protocol"... annoying, isn't it?... is
> there a name for that particular mistake?

  I don't know if that has any name assigned to, but what I do know is
that in Finnish that's officially perfectly valid, as specified by the
Research Institute for the Languages of Finland, the official organization
which specifies what is correct Finnish and what isn't.

  I would be surprised if this wasn't the case with many other languages
as well, including English.

  "The TCP protocol" is thus correct, and if you need to "open it", you
say "the transmission control protocol".

  Anything else is hairsplitting.

--
                                                          - Warp