POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : vr technology question : Re: vr technology question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vr technology question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jul 2008 14:34:12
Message: <4877a7a4$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> On a whim I spent just a little time poking around with Google to
> investigate how difficult it would be to set up a virtual space with a
> viewpoint that can be zoomed, dollyed, and panned. This could be in a
> browser or in a separate viewer. At first blush it seems that panning
> the camera or rotating an object is easy, also zoom, but dollying the
> camera not so?  Is this true?  Does this function present a particlar
> hurtle that panning and zooming doesn't?  Google maps does it.  Does the
> difficulty increase linearly or exponentially?

If you wanna look from side to side or turn around, you can just
manipulate a flat 2D image using 2D translations and rotations - just
make sure the edges line up to make a continuous visual. Zooming is a
similar story.

You want to *move* the camera position? Well then... *now* you must have
a *real* 3D environment. (After all, you need paralex and stuff. You can
fake that in 2D to some extent, but if arbitrary camera positions are
possible, there's really no way to avoid a full 3D environment.)
Obviously this is *significantly* more complicated to do.

Google Earth does it because it only draws a spherical planet. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/