POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dreaming : Re: Dreaming Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dreaming
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2008 13:25:03
Message: <4877976f@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:40:06 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> As an aside...
>
> My therapist seems to think that I'm nervous of public speaking because
> I'm autistic. I was under the impression that *all* people are nervous
> of public speaking. (Or at least, the vast majority of people anyway.) I
> didn't think this was "abnormal" in any way...?

I think most people are nervous about public speaking to some degree.
Whenever I get up in front of a class (or one of the toughest crowds - an
audience of other instructors, which I do at least once a year for a
whole day - along with several other presenters that I select), I'm
always nervous and I *always* think I've done a poor job.  It's
reassuring to have these people - many of whom are lifelong instructors -
come up and tell me what a good job I did.

The first time I did one of *those* talks, I was asked to lead the day's
sessions 5 minutes before it started.  The conversation with my VP at the
time was something like:

VP:  "So, who's leading the proceedings today?"
Me:  "Well, [boss] was planning on doing this, but he's moved on to a
different job a week ago."
VP:  "I guess it's your show then."
Me:  "Uh, OK...."

I basically had to completely ad-lib the opening bit.  I was *sure* I was
making a total ass out of myself.  But everyone thought I did a great
job, even though I wasn't prepared - they didn't know I wasn't prepared
and thought it went off very smoothly.

Jim