POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coins : Re: Coins Server Time
13 Jun 2024 07:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coins
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 11 Jul 2008 06:01:44
Message: <48772f88$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>
>> When I bought some pounds the other week with my euros, they were
>> charging me something ridiculous like 1.2572448282 Euros for a pound.
>> I guess if I was converting billions it would make a difference.
>
> Yeah, they do that, don't they?
>
> I often wondered... If you were to convert GBP to DNF to USD to CHF to
> EUR back to GBP... or something similar... could you end up with
> (significantly) more than you started with? I mean, is there some
> obscure sequence of currency exchanges where you end up with more than
> you stared with?

Probably, but it wouldn't be a set sequence all the time.

Look at it as a Traveling Salesman problem, costs to move to each point,
with the costs constantly changing. I once took a snapshot of the
currency exchange rates and spotted an easy route, but it changed not 10
seconds later (and it would have netted about 2 cents for every 1000 USD
before fees). Throw enough computers at it, with enough money in each
currency to make the moving easier, and who knows.