POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problems with photon mapping and transparancy : Re: Problems with photon mapping and transparancy Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with photon mapping and transparancy
From: Chris B
Date: 11 Jul 2008 04:32:03
Message: <48771a83@news.povray.org>
"Killroy Quartermaine" <iam### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I build my bottle as a CSG object: a difference of two spheres merged with
> difference of two cylinders, with a torus for the lip. Then I chop a
> cut-to-
> interior sized half sphere using a difference of a sphere and box.
>
> The bottle renders perfectly on it's own. The "water" renders just fine on
> it's
> own as well. Just about perfectly clear, with the right diffraction and
> whatnot.
>
> But when I render the two together, the water appears more like crude oil,
> and
> while it makes a very pretty pattern with the  diffracted light from the
> bottle, I was aiming for clear water.

You'll need to increase the max_trace_level in your global_settings block.
A ray is traced from your camera to the glass, through the shell, across the
tiny gap to your water, through the water, then the same out the other side,
so '7' should do it, but you might like to go higher (maybe '12') to avoid
black spots appearing if you choose a camera angle that takes you through
elements of the bottle neck and then down through the bottle and water.

The message stream also shows that the four #include statements at the start
of your example are missing the '#' symbol.

Regards,
Chris B.