POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of mentality : Re: A question of mentality Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of mentality
From: stbenge
Date: 8 Jul 2008 18:46:14
Message: <4873ee36@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 08-Jul-08 23:14, stbenge wrote:
>> The person in question would have not considered the time and
>> money wasted by these companies in pursuing a dead lead.
>
> interesting that you don't mention your own time.

The person who did this probably doesn't consider my time to be worth much.

>> This person would have also changed your name into a crude form. So
>> which is it:
>
> your ex or her new boy friend?
> If you have a kid in the range 12-16 it could be some of his/her
> 'friends'. Unless he/she is the favorite victim in class more parents
> may have your problem.

I don't have any children, but I do have an ex. None of my friends are
angry with me or are the immature type.

>> Is it possible to track down such an individual, even though he/she
>> has obviously used online forms to give out your e-mail address and
>> phone number?
>
> If done 'right' by a knowing person: no, so possibly yes.

I would have to know somebody who works at one of the companies spamming
me, yes? Even then, my info might have come from another distributer...

>> It's possible that the information was given to just a few sites which
>> then sold the info to other companies. Feedback would be appreciated~
>
> e-mail very likely, phone number unlikely I would say.

I *never* give out my phone number online. I suppose it would be
possible for somebody to hack my ISP account and find it that way, but
what anonymous hacker would go through all the trouble? It most
certainly is somebody I know personally. There is really only one person
I can think of who would do this. This person spends a great deal of
time online...

> There is
> (illegal) trade in e-mail addresses, because you can not you track down
> the person that sent the SPAM and he needs a big volume. Phone calls are
> traceable, you can not make more than one phone call at the same time
> and they cost money.

I know who calls me. They don't know who contacted them, because the
deed was done through an online form. Could a webmaster provide
information about who filled out which form?

> Unless you are in a very special segment (expensive
> (BDSM) clothes, likely to buy a big car or tractor soon or something
> like that), your phone number is worth very little.

These calls come from people who claim that I signed up for a particular
service or program. These aren't "cold" calls. They assume already that
I contacted them, which of course I didn't.

Sam