POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2008 09:19:12
Message: <48736950$1@news.povray.org>
> I got PSP free with some camera ages ago (or it's like 50 quid I think).

Really? Every camera I've ever seen comes with some random paint package
that nobody ever heard of... [And which does almost nothing beyond
colour adjustments and automatic red-eye removal. Ooo, and maybe a few
warps.]

>> I own a camcorder. It bearly produces SD quality, never mind HD! And
>> it was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Yawn! How old is it?

About 1 year?

> For 800 pounds today you can buy a really decent HD camcorder.

I didn't think you could buy a *still* camera for that kind of money.

>> BTW, any ideas about *good* DVD authoring software? My drive came with
>> some freebie that works, but it doesn't work fantastically well...
>
> I think I used ULead DVD Movie Factory before, it worked pretty
> seemlessly, but I didn't exactly tax it, I just wanted to put a few
> .avis onto a proper DVD with a menu so a friend could watch them.  Was
> really quick to use, had some nice pre-set menu graphics to chose from,
> and burnt fine first time.

That's more or less the level of what I'm trying to do too. I make
POV-Ray render some insane stuff, build AVIs out of it, and then put it
onto a real DVD so it can be played anywhere. (Plus playing uncompressed
video seems to stress my HD.)

The thing I've got seems to crash a lot. It allows you to do some
limited video editing, but stubbornly refuses to allow you to do things
like insert pauses or writing and so on.

> Yawn! You really should do a few clicks on amazon before making
> statements like that.  You do realise that for 900 pounds you can get a
> good quality 46 inch full-HD TV!  Smaller ones are *considerably*
> cheaper (like less than half that price).

You do realise that I was *in* Curries looking at new TVs only a few
days ago, right?

>> And let's not forget, you still need an HD source. Those are still
>> prohibitively expensive too. (Last I heard, a BluRay player is abour

> Yawn!  Under 200 pounds now.

Really? That's a rather sudden price drop, don't you think? I mean, the
format is still brand-spanking-new. Are there even any BluRay titles to
play yet?

>> much less technically expert enough to attempt to *edit* video beyond
>> what you can do with a DVD recorder...
>
> Programs like Windows Movie Maker make it pretty easy.  Judging by the
> number of videos on YouTube made with it, I guess a fair number of
> people worked out how to use it.

Now that's just puzzling. I tried to use Windows Movie Maker once, and
it wouldn't do *anything* I wanted it to do. Sure, I could take a bunch
of videos and join them together to make one video. But that seemed to
be the sum total of its abilities.

OTOH, most videos on YouTube seem to be unedited mobile phone videos... :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/