POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2008 08:45:54
Message: <48736182@news.povray.org>
>> Nope. And neither has anybody else I've ever met. Generally it's a
>> case of "here's a photo, can you clip the edges to center his head?
>> OK, now print that 3 times." Requires almost no RAM at all.
>
> Agreed.  But if you only have "almost no RAM at all", eg 256MB, then it
> can quickly become a problem.  A few levels of undo and your harddrive
> is thrashing.

Maybe I've missed something, but what image editing software gives you
more than 1 level of undo?

I mean, I'm sure if you're a professional digital artist, you've going
to have some serious high-end software, and some spine-tinglingly
expensive hardware to go with it. But normal people? They're just going
to use the free Hyper Painter XL that comes with your camera...

>> 1. Where in the name of God are you going to get HD video data from?
>
> A camcorder?  People often take them on holiday and stuff, I'm sure
> you've seen them.  Again, look on Amazon under High Definition
> camcorders, prices range from 150 pounds upwards.

I own a camcorder. It bearly produces SD quality, never mind HD! And it
was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. (So I'm told anyway. It
was a gift, so I didn't actually pay for it.) The idea that you could

seems really far-fetched to me.

> Or for geeks, maybe we create animations using POV :-)

And why do you think I own a DVD burner? ;-)

BTW, any ideas about *good* DVD authoring software? My drive came with
some freebie that works, but it doesn't work fantastically well...

>> 2. Assuming you edit something, where are you going to play it?
>> Nothing supports it yet.
>
> Ermm, you looked in a shop that sells TVs recently?  Almost all support
> HDTV, when you need to replace your TV you're not going to have a
> choice.

Seriously, you're not going to throw away a perfectly good TV just so
that you can get a marginally-sharper picture, are you.

> A quick Google revealed that in 2006 8% of homes had an
> HD-capable TV.

That's a really tiny percentage.

And let's not forget, you still need an HD source. Those are still
prohibitively expensive too. (Last I heard, a BluRay player is abour

>> 3. Why would you need lots of RAM? Surely you just need a huge harddrive?
>
> Editing programs use up as much of your RAM as they can to make
> everything faster while you are working.  Of course you can get away
> with less, but things go really slowly with your drive thrashing away.

This suggests to me that you only need large stacks of RAM if you're
doing professional video editing work. I mean seriously, I don't even
*know* anybody else rich enough to afford a video camera, much less
technically expert enough to attempt to *edit* video beyond what you can
do with a DVD recorder...

>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119995
>>
>> Found it on their front page.
>
> Hmm, on amazon it seems to be half the price:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Vista-Ultimate-Service-Pack/dp/B0013O77GM

OK, well that's a little less extortionate, but it's still pretty damned
expensive IMHO.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/