POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: scott
Date: 8 Jul 2008 08:11:49
Message: <48735985@news.povray.org>
> Nope. And neither has anybody else I've ever met. Generally it's a case of
> "here's a photo, can you clip the edges to center his head? OK, now print
> that 3 times." Requires almost no RAM at all.

Agreed.  But if you only have "almost no RAM at all", eg 256MB, then it can
quickly become a problem.  A few levels of undo and your harddrive is
thrashing.

> 1. Where in the name of God are you going to get HD video data from?

A camcorder?  People often take them on holiday and stuff, I'm sure you've
seen them.  Again, look on Amazon under High Definition camcorders, prices
range from 150 pounds upwards.  Or for geeks, maybe we create animations
using POV :-)

> 2. Assuming you edit something, where are you going to play it? Nothing
> supports it yet.

Ermm, you looked in a shop that sells TVs recently?  Almost all support
HDTV, when you need to replace your TV you're not going to have a choice.  A
quick Google revealed that in 2006 8% of homes had an HD-capable TV, that is
predicted to reach 70% by 2012 (guess it's at about 30% now then), so it
looks to me like lots of people have support for it already.

> 3. Why would you need lots of RAM? Surely you just need a huge harddrive?

Editing programs use up as much of your RAM as they can to make everything
faster while you are working.  Of course you can get away with less, but
things go really slowly with your drive thrashing away.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

They recommend you get the extra GB if you're planning to do HD editing.

> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119995
>
> Found it on their front page.

Hmm, on amazon it seems to be half the price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Vista-Ultimate-Service-Pack/dp/B0013O77GM